If you were able to attend my keynote at Search Exchange 2012, you probably took lots of notes–mostly because my slides were void of text and I verbalized all of my tips and tactics.
To assist you (or anyone that couldn’t make it) here is an alternative version of my slidedeck. It includes–gulp!–bullet points, but only so that you can recall what I said.
Please tweet, like, and share!
The 11 Laws of Online Reputation Management — Presentation Transcript
1. The 11 Laws ofReputation Management by Andy Beal
2. About Andy Beal• CEO of Trackur.com• Coauthor of Radically Transparent• Publisher of MarketingPilgrim.com• Founder of a super secret startup, codenamed “Rodney”
3. Trackur Adds Automated Sentiment Analysis!
4. Law #1 YOUR REPUTATION IS CONSTANTLY EXPOSED
5. Know Your Reputations• Your personal actions are part of your company’s reputation• Your company’s actions are part of your personal reputation• Cross-pollination happens between offline and online reputations
6. Law #2 YOU CAN’T GROW APPLES ON AN ORANGE TREE
7. You Character is Your Reputation• How you treat customers will affect your reputation• Be transparent in every part of your interaction with stakeholders“Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.”
8. Law #3 THE BIGGEST TROUBLEMAKER IS THE ONE YOU FACE IN THE MIRROR
9. Know Your Achilles Heel• What is your biggest weakness?• Collect feedback and improve• Be prepared for a crisis – Chain of command – Practice responses – Crisis blog?• Train staff, but don’t stifle them
10. Law #4 BE QUICK TO LISTEN, SLOW TO SPEAK, & SLOW TO BECOME ANGRY
11. Listen, Listen, Listen!• Listen carefully to conversations – Wide net – Centers of influence• Measure twice, act once – If nothing else, listen – Improve your service – Share feedback – Learn from others’ mistakes
12. Law #5 IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME
13. Take Control of Your Community• Build your online community – Blogs – Twitter – Facebook – Forums & message boards – Email newsletter• Nurture your community
14. Law #6 ADD MIRACLE-GRO TO YOUR REPUTATION
15. Fertilize Your Community• Don’t blast, engage! – Respond to tweets – Interact with Facebook fans – Encourage interaction in comments – Share announcements & new products – Run a contest• Create a community manager• Share links to your communities
16. Law #7 IF YOU DON’T PLANT CORN, YOU’LLGET WEEDS
17. If You Don’t Build It, They Will• No one likes the sound of crickets• If you don’t create the official channel, someone will create the unofficial one• Don’t let someone else love them• Unanswered complaints fester
18. Law #8 WHEN THE FECAL MATTER HITS THE OSCILLATING BLADE
19. When Under Attack• 83% of companies will come under attack• Collect the facts• Get insights from others• Three rules for responding – Sincerity – Transparency – Consistency• Take it offline
20. Law #9 IT’S EASIER TO EAT CROW WHILE IT’S STILL WARM
21. Talk Really is Cheap!• A quick apology does wonders• It’s hard to do, but let it go• Lifetime value of a customer < lifetime cost of unhappy customer• Happy customers tell 5 people• Unhappy customers tell 10 people• Restituted customers tell 20 people
22. Law #10 YOU CAN’T KEEP BETTING THE FARM
23. Repairing the Damage• Three strikes and yerrrr out!• Identify detractors and work with them• Don’t silo; share and learn• It’s more expensive to repair than prevent, but it’s expected anyway
24. Law #11 THERE’S NO CRYSTAL BALL FOR REPUTATION MANAGEMENT